The Grand Rapids Chapter of the Hearing Loss Association of America is dedicated to opening the world of communication to people with hearing loss by providing information, education, support and advocacy. We do this by connecting people in the Greater Grand Rapids area who care about these issues through our local chapter activities, events, and resources.
• Educate ourselves, our families, friends, coworkers, teachers, hearing health care providers, industry, government, and others about hearing loss.
• Provide adults and children with tools for self help
• Sensitize the general population about the special needs of people who are hard of hearing; and promote understanding of the nature, causes, complications, and remedies of hearing loss.
• Provide information on many aspects of hearing loss, from technological and medical advances to coping and parenting strategies.
• Help people become informed consumers regarding available options and making the best decisions about dealing with hearing loss.
• For communication access in the workplace and public facilities.
• Promotion of new technology, medical research, and legislation that will alleviate the effects of hearing loss.
• Encourage and participate in research to improve hearing aids, assistive listening devices, and other technology needs of consumers with hearing loss.
• Encourage research on understanding the causes of hearing loss and for development of new treatments.
• Testify before federal, state, and local legislative bodies on issues concerning people with hearing loss.
• Help implement federal and state laws which benefit people with hearing loss.
• Hearing Loss Association of America believes people with hearing loss can help themselves and one another to participate fully and successfully in society.
• Hearing Loss Association of America promotes self-confidence; empowers individuals with skills to improve their lives; and provides an opportunity for affiliation among people with hearing loss, their friends, families, and professionals.
• We work to develop options for ourselves and open doors for others.